Monday, March 14, 2016

block-printed felt pennant flags

My latest completed project is a series of block-printed felt pennant flags. In my quest to make location-specific goods, I decided pennant flags were not only an inexpensive way to spruce up walls but something I could make entirely by hand. I like the idea of these being made entirely at the location that they represent and in small batches.
 
I carved each design out of linoleum (although not quite this quickly). 
Then I printed my felt. As you can see, block-printing on felt doesn't always produce a consistent appearance. I've found that the fuzziness of the felt affects the print quality, and fuzziness tends to vary. So, usually I print extra.
Here are the Denver pennants drying. Next I sew a strip of felt to the side of each pennant.
 Here are all three of my new pennant designs, happily hanging on the outside of our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment